List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: Configuration Problems ( was [suse-linux-uk-schools]
From:       Richard <richard () sheflug ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-27 10:15:07

Robb

The Royal Latin School wrote:

> My graphics card is inbuilt on the mother board, and off hand I couldn't
> tell you, I have 32MB of ram and an 8GB hard drive, with (supposedly) 5GB
> assigned to Linux, but it thinks it's got about 1.  Which is fine, 'cos I'll
> get the rest back when I've finished fiddling about and then do it properly.

The built in chips can be a bit strange at times.  You really need to
plug in a separate graphics card.  That might be an S3 or ATI card.
First time configuration of X-windows can be difficult.  But, as other
people have said, first time installation of Microsoft products can be
difficult as well :)

I've also had a lot of trouble with these chips under Win
95/98/2000/NT4 and some of the comments I've heard from PC shop
technicians aren't really repeatable here.

32Mb of RAM is somewhat on the mean side.  This is why your hard drive
is grinding.  If I run MS Windows I use 128Mb of RAM.  This allows MS
Office to run without problems.  If you want to run X-windows and an
office suite you should use at least 64Mb of RAM.  I've also met
people who insist that 256Mb is the minimum.  However, in the run up
to Christmas the Taiwanese RAM people have jacked up the prices up to
maximise profits.  So, 64Mb might be all that you can afford ?

Thanks

--
Richard