List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Squid's up and running
From:       "npauli" <npauli () st-johns ! org ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-22 16:57:48

Dear all,

I've now got Squid successfully running on my Redhat 6.2. My final problems
all boiled down to fine tuning the squid.conf script. While getting Cache
Manager up and running, I had somehow persuaded myself that I needed
always_direct allow school-network.

Don't ask me how or why as it had the effect of causing all those machines
to try and bypass the default parent cache. This meant that they could only
see files that had already been cached by localhost.

It will be interesting to see what happens when people get back from half
term. I won't be surprised if I have to rapidly retract the first sentence
of this email!

BTW, I'm running Squid for a network of 35-ish machines with a max of 24
concurrent web browsers on a machine with 64MB of RAM, a 450 Mhz PII, and a
4 GB HDD that is dedicated entirely to Squid i.e. it's /usr/local/squid.
>From other people's experience am I likely to find I'm over specified, or
under or what?