List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Squid proxy - success!!!!!
From:       "npauli" <npauli () st-johns ! org ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-21 15:38:31

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Drage <nick-drage@gmx.ch>
To: <suse-linux-uk-schools@suse.com>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 9:38 AM

> Just as a minor point, but presuming that comments in squid.conf are the
> same as other comments files and preceded by a # (hash) symbol remember
that

> grep -v ^#
>
> is your friend, and worth doing on long config files that sometimes have
> lines over the width of a standard console ( i.e. inetd.conf ).
>
> I expect you already know how to do this, but just making this point that
> this is one of the commands I run when I've reached the "well, I'm sure
I've
> covered everything" stage :)

Thanks for that tip, Nick - I'll be making much use of it. Along the same
lines of useful tricks here are a couple that were taught to me recently:

tail -f  /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log
is a good one to run in a terminal window on the same screen in which you
are using a browser while testing Squid. tail displays the latest lines
added to access.log and the -f means that tail "follows" the log file as it
grows.

ps -ef | squid
will tell you if squid is actually running and gives you its PID number.

I jot these sort of things down in a notebook because when I first learn
them and use them a lot I'm sure I'll never forget them but I've learnt from
bitter experience that I'm quite capable of doing so.

Anyone got any other useful tips?

Nigel.

St. John's School, Northwood