List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Setting up a Web Proxy
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-09-24 20:47:11

Hi,

Just to mention what I did...

I had the router plugged straight into a hub. I
had
the Proxy connected to the network (again
obviously
into a hub).

You can do it therefore with one network card in
your
RM machine.

I pointed all the Browsers on the clients to
172.16.103.1 (the proxy), port 8080 as their http
proxy (advanced options in Netscape or IE.

Maybe all this was technically slack. I don't
know. In fact if it was bad...someone tell me...'cos
I'm about to embark on the same plan at another
school!
But what I ended up with was a proxy server that
cached pages and wasn't a router. It wasn't
trying to
be. You can do one without the other. It
definately
sped up the internet connection from the clients.
They
grabbed all their objects from the squid machine.
Nice. But if the squid machine didn't have
something,
then off it went and grabbed it from the ISDN
link to
the outside world.

Do you need this firewall 'two network cards'
bit? If
you have a managed service, you probably have
your
content filtered, and protection too.

Just my spanner in the works. It wasn't hard to
set up
this way!

If I'm wrong...let me know!
--