List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Setting up a web proxy server
From:       Phillip Deackes <gsmh () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-09-24 9:58:16

I have seen some messages on the list about setting up a web proxy
server. I am ICT Coordinator in a Leicestershire High School and we are
about to take delivery of a new RM PC which I would like to set up as a
proxy server. I understand I would use squid. I have never set up
anything like this before - I can install and configure Linux on an
internet connected workstation standing on my head, but I still view
networking as something of a black art!

We currently run an RM 2.3 Connect network - 1 Windows NT server and
around 40 Windows 95 workstations, most are Pentium 100 with 16 MB RAM
(and don't we know it!!). As I understand it, I need two network cards
on the new machine, one connected directly to our ISDN router, the other
to our current network. I configure the new machine to talk to the
router and all other machines on the network to talk to the new machine,
hence all requests pass through the proxy server rather than directly to
our ISP. I assume non-web traffic would pass through transparently.

Excuse me if this is a little simplistic - I will have the use of a
technician from another school for a few hours, although he knows very
little about Linux. He is more knowledgeable about networking generally
though.

I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know of any useful web
sites on this topic - I am sure some members of the list set up a help
page for this sort of thing.

Many thanks indeed for any help list members are able to offer.

--
Phillip Deackes
Gartree High School, Oadby