List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Filtering out pornography etc.
From:       Derek Harding <derek () lagham ! zetnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-05-26 16:29:01

Hi Folks,

You may have noticed that your ISP doesn't filter pornographic and "bad
taste" sites very well. Some of them wait for schools to find the offensive
sites and then inform them so that in a fortnight or so they can add the
sites to their filter (including some of the supposedly school dedicated
sites such as schoolzone). For our school (250+ machines, most
"internetable") that situation is unacceptable. I use squid2 (and the
url-regex function) to provide both proxy services and a first barrier
against "bad sites" including foreign languages (try www.baise.net through
your filter for example) and bestiality sites (which masquerade as
respectable sources). I also block obvious hacking sites, several chats
and some plain bad taste sites.

It might be useful if someone could collate lists of these sites so that
there is a general list new gateway servers can forbid? Any volunteers?
(Sorry, I can't take it on just yet.)

--
Best wishes, Derek Harding
derek@lagham.zetnet.co.uk