List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] more about disks/LINUX
From:       Giles Nunn <giles () satproj ! org ! uk>
Date:       2000-03-27 13:23:09

The numlock is set in linux - in SuSE you can set it using the yast
configuration file rc.config

In my experience most crashes are X applications and, as you say, you can
usually change to a different virtual console and kill the offending
processes. Even if the console is locked up you can usually telnet in and
kill and restart from a workstation on the network. If you can get access
but feel the need to reboot it is often better to just restart with
init s		followed by
init 2 (or 3 if you use the graphical login)

Giles Nunn - Network Manager
Carms Schools ICT Development Centre
Tel: +44 01239 710662   Fax: 710985