List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Preliminary Budgetary exercise
From:       "Raju" <raju () one ! net>
Date:       2000-03-24 14:23:47

Roger,

Here is what I found out during the budgetary exercise...

There exists a "School Agreement" by Microsoft Licensing. All prices given
below are per this agreement. As far as I can tell the only thing they say
is that the school should have at least 10 PCs. All latest versions will
automatically be given to the schools having this agreement.

- NT Small Business Server (includes mail, proxy, web etc.) for schools is
an one time cost of  385 pounds. This is one time purchase so no upgrades.
Caveat: The server has an upper limit of 50 users in the latest
release(4.5). Ealier releases used to have a limit of 25 users.

- School Agreement Client License Pack (MS-Office, subscription to Encarta
online, Visual whatchamacallits,  MS-Works, Fontpage etc., client license to
Small Business Server)  41 pounds per year per PC.

- My school says it needs MS-Publisher (because the 4 PCs they have last 2
years have it and they are now used to it) and that will be an additional 17
pounds per year per PC.

That basically boils down to (ignoring Publisher for the moment) the
following for a 30 PC network.

One time cost:  400 pounds for the server
Recurring cost: 1400 pounds / year / PC

Now since the school has decided to go with the W98 clients, the recurring
cost will apply to Linux server scenario as well. The only thing that
differentiates it is the saving of 350 pounds!!  Not much to go on here, is
there?

BTW, the people who told the Pricipal about Linux being unstable was "Gemini
2000". They are in approximately the same business as RM plc. Although they
keep claiming that they are not "rigid" like RM. The server they have
suggested costs 3500 pounds. Sounds overkill for a network with 35 PCs (max)
and 5 printers!! ... sigh!