List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Odd Window Panes (Pains?)
From:       "Edgehill E-Mail Service" <EdgehillIT () edgecoll ! clara ! net>
Date:       2000-02-17 9:25:31

Hi,

Have just spent the last week (off and on) installing SuSE onto my Linux
Box (twice).

X-server ran well, first time (a novelty after RedHat ;), but KDE is
painfully slow. Restarted using Gnome (smaller and faster), but still slow.
Tried AfterStep, better speed but less fun to use (hhos).

There is a common problem with all three - when dragging windows or
scrolling the contents, various parts of the desktop (icons, taskbar or
whatever) are displayed inside the window - repeated and often in diagonal
stripes (as if the horizontal hol has unlocked)- which remain static,
covering the window contents which are still present and clickable.
resizing the window clears the garbage.

I've cut down the number of services running to no avail. Any ideas?

System Cyrix 6x86MX, 48MB RAM, Generic Cirrus CL-GD5446 +2MB. Everything
else standard.

In the meantime, I've gone back to RedHat on the second hard drive which
gives no probems.

Edgehill IT Department Email Service.
Please check sender's address from body of
Message for return address.

Find us at:
www.edgecoll.clara.net