List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] openexchange
From:       Kai Ponte <kai () perfectreign ! com>
Date:       2006-11-29 13:18:15

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 22:44, James Ogley wrote:
> > I've looked all over Suse and Novell's web site for the openxchange
> > server.  Is it still in existence?  And does any one have a link?  Or is
> > not it now www.open-xchange.org )Open-Xchange ?
>
> ISTR that this was dropped as a product quite some time ago although it
> continued as an OSS project.  Perhaps it's died?
>
> Note that Novell also stopped providing paid-for hackers for its Hula[1]
> project (which they formed about 20 months ago by effectively open
> sourcing NetMail).  This will also remain as an OSS project and
> hopefully some people will take up the development work.
>
> [1] http://hula-project.org

I saw the Novell announcement of the end of Hula support.

http://forge.novell.com/pipermail/hula-general/2006-November/002084.html

At first I wondered if it had something to do with the MS<>Novell deal.
However, upon reflection, I realized that hula was a loooong way from reality
and not the leader in the OSS collaboration server market.

I'm curious if Novell is going to now be:

1. focusing on Evolution as the next collaboration client

2. shying away from any "Exchange Killer" for Linux, simply because it "can't
work" or because they don't want to make MS mad.

3. begin porting the (supposedly) better GroupWise to SUSE

4. purchase Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com/) or other OSS platform tool.

In any case, I'd love to get away from Exchange. It would be nice to have a
SUSE Exchange client I could use and like. (I'm still on Exchange 5.5 so
can't use Evolution ATM.)

Oh, and I just found out that my retirement association is actually using
eDirectory instead of Active Directory. Good for them!
--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request