List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KDE4 rpms, what am I getting myself into?
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () suse ! de>
Date:       2006-11-27 8:40:39

On Sunday 26 November 2006 06:14, Steven T. Hatton said:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 21:41, Carl Hartung wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 November 2006 21:21, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > > I'm installing the KDE4 bits from
> > > http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/KDE4/SUSE_Linux_10.0/
> > >
> > > Is it going to nicely mind its own business and not try to share my
> > > ~/.kde and similar resources?  What about the Qt bits? Any adverse
> > > consequences there?

<snip>

> > The 'content' file in that directory reads:
> >
> > PRODUCT openSUSE Build Service KDE:KDE4 SUSE_Linux_10.0
> > VERSION 1.0-0
> > LABEL upcoming KDE 4 test builds (SUSE_Linux_10.0)
> > <snip>
> >
> > Are you "upgrading" a production or test box?
> >
> > Carl
>
> I'm trying to get some idea how the Qt ItemView technology is being used in
> practice.  For some reason my kdebase3-3.5.5 was removed when I installed
> the rpms.  I'm really not sure what the expectation is with these bits.
> When I simply started X from runlevel 3 and did a /opt/kde4/bin/startkde,
> things looked pretty broken.  Perhaps I should resort to plan A and build
> my own. --

The Qt4 bits are production Qt4 packages and cohabit nicely with *3 versions,
you don't need to worry about those.

The KDE4 packages are the second developer preview of KDE4, aimed at people
wanting to develop/port KDE4/Qt4 applications without the hassle of building
all the libs and base infrastructure themself, and make no guarantees or sets
any expectations.  If things are only 'pretty broken' at this stage I'm
happy.  Unless you want to contribute to kde 4 desktop, I wouldn't run a
whole session yet, but run KDE 4 apps on KDE3.

~/.kde is not protected by default, but you can set KDEHOME, KDETMP (default
is /tmp/kde-$USER) and KDEVARTMP (default /var/tmp/kde-$USER) elsewhere and
run KDE4 apps in parallel with a running KDE3 desktop.  When we start
including KDE4 on the distro it will be set up to work in parallel like this.

kdebase3 should not have been replaced, but we had a spurious Provides:
kdebase line in the spec for kdebase 4 which caused the problem, we've
removed that now.

If CPU cycles aren't tight or you want to stay bleeding edge the script
kdesvn-build (in the kdesdk svn module) will fetch and compile qt-copy and
the kde4 base platform for you in a nice remote place like /space.

Finally, lxr.kde.org is a good way to look for examples of the Qt4 Interview
technology in use.

HTH

Will