List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Suse 10.1 doesn't start anymore.: help!
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2006-10-18 14:27:07

On 06/10/18 10:13 (GMT-0400) Marco Fioretti apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I replaced the HD. Try running several passes of badblocks
>> on the partition holding yours to see if your problem might too
>> be the HD

> Thanks for the tip. However, I have found here:

> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/badblocks.8.html

> that "it is strongly recommended that users not run badblocks directly,
> but rather use the -c option of the e2fsck and mke2fs programs".

> shouldn't I do that instead? Or, better, "e3fsck -c", since these are
> ext3 file systems?

AFAIK, fsck is geared to filesystem integrity checking, while badblocks is
geared to physical device checking. If you suspect the physical device might
be a problem, then you want to thoroughly test that physical device.
Naturally, do it while it is unmounted.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409