List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] SAS (Installer doesn't see hard-drives)
From:       Catimimi <catimimi () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2006-10-14 13:36:17

Philip Mötteli a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> I try to install SuSE Linux 10.1 on a Dell 2950.
> The problem is, that the installer just doesn't see the hard-drives.
> This is a system with two dual-cores and 4GB of RAM.
> The heart of the problem is perhaps the LSILogic SAS 1068-IT
> (v6.6.0.2) controller (there's no RAID hardware).
> By default, the installer loads the following modules:
>
>     Fusion MPT SCSI Host Driver
>     Fusion MPT SAS Host Driver
>

> But there are other drivers, which seemed to me more appropriate:
>
>     LSI Logic MegaRAID
>     LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS
>     LSI Logic Management Module
>

> The problem is, when I load the LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS module, it is
> rejected, saying:
>
>     Module not supported by Novell, setting U Taint flag.
>

> Interestingly, with the delivered SuSE Enterprise Linux CD-ROM, I have
> no problems installing, but I also have only one month of updates.
>

> Has anybody already had that problem?
> Phil
>

> --Check the headers for your unsubscription address
> For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@suse.com
> Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@suse.com

I've such a problem each time I build a new computer with the latest
hardware.
In year 2001 Linux was unable to manage my LSIlogic Ultra SCSI card, and the
problem was solved with the next release.
In year 2006 with SuSE 10.0 I'd to manually choose the necessary drivers for
my chipset and Sata controllers and with 10.1 everything was fine.

So you can expect a solution with 10.2 release. Most manufacturers don't
support Linux
and often it is necessary to do reverse engineering in order to define
the drivers.

Michel.