List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Alternative to "at"?
From:       "Claes at work" <claesatwork () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-27 17:08:38

On 9/27/06, stephan beal <stephan@s11n.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 08:07, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > The 'problem' with cron is that it was designed for periodic tasks,
> > not one-time tasks.
>
> It can be done, though: have your cron job install a separate crontab
> file, replacing the existing one. At the end of your job (or at the
> beginning), do:
>
> crontab my_new_crontab_file

Interesting idea.. but a little strange too. At least for this
purpose, when I want to schedule one shot jobs. Your suggestion is to
have one crontab file for each job and "chain them"?

> You can keep several different crontab laying around and load them at
> will. Using 'crontab -e' you can edit the current crontab, and using
> 'crontab -l' you can dump the current crontab to stdout:
>
> crontab -l > my_old_crontab_file
>
> To address your earlier post about at:

Thanks for your input. I think rather than scripting around at, using
lock files etc, I will write a python script with a scheduling queue
and timers. I think that will work better for me.

Thanks,

Claes