List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] 80 Gb USB Hard-disk on a P3 Notebook
From:       Catimimi <catimimi () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2006-09-08 17:00:48

Rylan Cottrell a écrit :
> To be able to boot of a usb drive you have to change the boot order. I
> have been able to boot my hp dv4000 with damn small linux. However for
> working with grub,I believe grub would have to be installed onto the
> main hd. And you would have to edited it manually to load the kernel
> from usb. It maybe easier to part the main hd into two segments and map
> the home drive and the windows desktop settings to the usb drive.

As I told below, I did exactly all that, booting from USB works without
any problem
and the first partition will be active, but I think that the other
partitions on the usb
disk won't be seen by the kernel before the completion of usb detection,
it is the
reason why I splitted windows XP and Linux between the two disks.