List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] screen, mouse, kb lockup
From:       Robert Morrison <orbert () orbert ! net>
Date:       2006-04-26 2:15:28

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 02:21, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> While attempting to stop a video playing on Macro Media Flash Player 7,
> I managed to lock out everything.  I could not move the mouse cursor,
> the arrow keys and the rest of the kb didn't work, ctl-alt-del did nothing.
> None of the function keys did anything. (The video was something downloaded
> from the 'net via Firefox.) I wound up pulling the big switch, as us hams
> like to say.  Is there anything else I could have done?

Sounds like an X lockup; ctl-alt-backspace will restart X.
Better than the BRS[1] because it won't fry your filesystems.

If for some reason X won't restart, try ctl-alt-f1 to get to
a console login, login as root and use:

# shutdown -h now

(If you try ctl-alt-f1 for practice, ctl-alt-f7
gets you back to your (working) X session.)

> I'm trying to put Linux to practical use, and this is the first time I've
> seen
> 10.0 crash, so it's good, but not fool-proof.  (If something can be broken,
> this fool will break it!)

Yah, that's how you learn; happy hacking.

Robert

[1] Big Red Switch