List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
From:       lerninlinux () comcast ! net
Date:       2006-04-04 16:32:24

> > > As you probably know, Mandriva is no longer the old Mandrake but is now
> > > a combination of Mandrake, Conectiva and Lycoris.

> founder to the door, and unless Mandriva team gets it act together, it
> most like will suffer an untimely demise.

I haven't heard about them hemoriging!  Last I knew they were doing much better.  \
They were out of bankruptcy and that was when they bought up Conectiva, then they \
signed a deal with some south American country, where they come preloaded on thier \
pc's.  Last I heard, that accounted for 25% of thier business.

> Interesting to note. I actually switched from Mandrake to SuSE because
> of my perception of them as going down in quality. I had run Mandrake 6
> on  my laptop and 8 on a test machine. When 10.0 came out I tried to use
> it but it wouldn't detect my hardware. Popping SuSE 9.1 in did the
> trick. I've been a SuSE/SUSE fan ever since.
>
> Besides, YOU is so much easier than urpmi. (Unless they now have some
> similar GUI tool which I don't know of.)

I switched from Mandrake to Suse, after a few things built up to bother me.  I went \
from RH5.2 to Mandrake 6 through 8.0, then I got one of those infamous magazines with \
the bad discs.  I tried two other people's I knew and no luck either.  I had bought \
the box sets previously, but the one time I registered it, and tried to use the \
installation support, in the alloted time, I received no replies or help.  That was \
when I started watching the newsgroups a lot more.   The next time I went to buy a \
Mandrake, it wasn't in stores any longer (since been rectified, with one store).  \
Suse started appearing in stores, locally, and I knew it had a big following, so I \
made the switch.  Been much happier since.  And I also agree about YOU. Now I feel \
more comfortable as I have one well functioning system, so I plan on taking a couple \
of older ones, and trying things like Gentoo on them, so I learn more about how \
things work.  As I am not sure what I know, and what  distro's like Suse, help make \
easy for me.