List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
From:       "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-02 20:53:09

On 4/2/06, Anders Johansson <andjoh@rydsbo.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 11:57 -0400, Lisc Debu wrote:
> > Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:46:48 -0400
> > > "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@globalsymmetry.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > 2. SuSE Linux retail - This is the boxed set equivalent to professional
> > It isn't, Novell do not provide ftp with SuSE Linux, SuSE Pro was always
> > available on ftp
> > (8-10 weeks after official  release) .
>
> http://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/linux/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/
> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/10.0/inst-source-extra/suse/
>
> together makes up the full retail version
>
> What was it that changed again?

Anders,

I can't talk to the old FTP setup, nor the above as it stands today.

I can say that for the first couple of months age 10.0 was released
the above locations were NOT equivalent to what SUSE did with 8.0 ->
9.3

With those releases I could do a basic install via CD.  If later I
needed to add the yast packages I found of interest I had 100% success
install the additional packages via yast and the official online
source.

With 10.0 I found this NOT to be true.  I had several packages I
wanted to install to CD only machines.  Since the packages were only
on the DVD, I tried the above sites you mention.  The did NOT contain
the packages I was looking for.

I ended up buying an external DVD drive so I could move it around from
machine to machine so I could have access to the full 10.0 retail
package.  I consider that a definite step backwords in the SUSE distro
mechanism.

FYI: I posted about this on this list several times.  Typically I used
the example of mt_st not being available on the sites you listed, but
there were others.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer