List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Just installed SuSE 10
From:       Kevanf1 <kevanf1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-31 18:21:20

On 31/03/06, Cody Nelson <codynelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Think I am answering everyones questions bellow.
>
> Windows installation is on the SCSI drive, the ide drive had at one
> time an OS, but it is just a "my documents" disk now.
>
> My C drive for windows is /dev/sda1. I keep my boot fat so I can more
> easily get to it with boot drives, linux, old habbit I started back in
> windows NT days.
> more /etc/fstab
>  users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
> /dev/sda3            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 1
> /dev/hdc1            /windows/C           ntfs
> ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
> /dev/sda1            /windows/D           vfat
> users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
> /dev/sda2            swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
> (removed the non relivant lines)
>
> It is a 9 gig HD, strange that it show it being bigger, during the
> install it says it resized the window partian to 5 gigs
> df -h
> /dev/sda3             3.0G  2.3G  747M  76% /
> tmpfs                 252M   12K  252M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/hdc1              20G   13G  6.6G  66% /windows/C
> /dev/sda1             8.6G  3.4G  5.2G  40% /windows/D
>

> When I set grub to boot off of hdc1 in yast(just in case), I ger the
> following, and nothing else, just sits there,
> "Chainloaer (#
> Chd 1,0)+1"
>

> more /boot/grub/device.map
> (hd0)   /dev/sda
> (hd3)   /dev/sdc
> (hd1)   /dev/hdc
> (hd2)   /dev/sdb
>
> I can access /windows/D (which is really the C:, and look over
> boot.ini and other files.
>
> Partitioner shows:
> /dev/dhc        19.0gb  Maxtor-5T020H2                  0 2490
> /dev/hdc1       19.0gb  HPFS/NTFS       /Windows/C      0 2490
> /dev/sda        8.5gb   SEAGATE-ST39204LW               0 1114
> /dev/sda1       5.0     Win95 FAT32 LBA /windows/D      0 662
> /dev/sda2       509.8mb Linux Swap      swap            662 727
> /dev/sda3       2.9gb   Linux Native    /               727 1114
>

> On 3/31/06, Kevanf1 <kevanf1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
> > title Windows
> >    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
> >
> > GRUB is looking for your Windows installation at IDE hard drive 0 (the
> > first drive  primary hard disk on your system). The second 0 refers to
> > the first partition on that drive. The +1 bit is correct.  Now, is
> > your Windows installation actually on this disk or is it on a SCSI
> > disk or possibly elsewhere?  From what you have said it sounds as
> > though GRUB has picked up an old install that has only been partially
> > removed.
> >
> > --

This bit looks wrong:

 "Chainloaer (#
> Chd 1,0)+1"

I'm assuming a typo for the word chainloader?  Anyway, it also appears
to be 'remarking' out part of the line that is relevant.  Again, it
may just be a typo.  Try this entered exactly as it is here:

title Windows
rootnoverify (sd0,0)
chainloader +1

Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay