List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Changin' Firefox's identification to win*.
From:       jfweber () bellsouth ! net
Date:       2006-02-23 6:55:35

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 4:01 pm, pelibali wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:27:34 +0000
>
> John Pettigrew <.> wrote:
> > In a previous message, pelibali <.> wrote:
> > > Is there a chance with Firefox to teach it, as it would be a
> > > version running under win* or which browser I should try, where I
> > > could define exact user-agents
> >
> > Install the User-Agent extension and you can set the string to
> > whatever you like. Works well.
>
> Thank you; this was an excellent and extremely-quick idea! It works
> flawlessly, but until now I didn't find the winner user-agent combo
> opening that page :(
>
> I will also try Paul's idea, Opera, but preferably will not go for
> IE.
>
> The bl*diest thing is that I KNOW, that this particular page
> generally works with at least 6 Firefox releases, most of then under
> lin*! Making ridiculous policies like this really doesn't help people
> using "alternative OS"-es...

That is the plan.. they do not want you to be able to do anything
easily , so any current MS user won't be tempted to stray off the
reservation too easily or quickly.  IF they keep telling people they
can't get their email, can't web surf etc *UNLESS* they stay w/ the
market leader..  They can't see the Crab Nebula or whatever, w/o
windows to run everything... they are ahead of the game.. or so they
think

The only problem they have is making sure those current, and any future
users, don't find out they are just blowing smoke... because that tends
to piff off  even the Pope, or the Dalhi Lama, generally known as
persons of equitable disposition and and reasonably  unflappable in the
face of um, er , well , mendacity.
;-D

So come to the moon
I hope to see you soon
Half a million miles isn't far to go -- song lyric