List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Multiple high port ssh connections from strange host?
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2006-02-06 15:45:26

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> I believe this indicates someone is trying to break into my system.
> Is there a way to deal with this kind of attack? Other than turning
> off ssh, that is.

This has been discussed in the past - I've seen several different
solutions such as:

1) banning attackers by IP-address after a sufficient number of failed
login attempts.. Essentially scanning /var/log/messages and doing
iptable updates (or hosts.deny updates).
2) having iptables do some magic to count number of connects, and
disallowing after a threshold is reached.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - managed anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
Let us analyse your spam- and virus-threat - up to 2 months for free.