List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] grep error
From:       Nick LeRoy <nleroy () cs ! wisc ! edu>
Date:       2005-12-29 19:44:36

On Thu December 29 2005 1:03 pm, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 12:53 -0600, Nick LeRoy wrote:
> > The "problem" is that there blocks of 0's in the file, so grep thinks
> > that the file is "binary" (as does "file").  Run grep with the "-a"
> > option to force it into ascii / text mode.
> >
> > -Nick
>
> Thanks Nick. That worked. Any reason I can't edit out the garbage?

I'm not sure *why* it's stored as a binary file, but I suspect that you won't
hurt anything by removing the 0's, but, again, I don't know for sure.  Also,
I suspect that bash will add some more (bash updates the file every time it
exits), so your edits would be temporary.  IMHO, it sounds easier to just
"grep -a".

-Nick

--
           <<< Knock, knock, Neo. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project