List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OT: KDE v. GNOME
From:       jfweber () bellsouth ! net
Date:       2005-12-21 19:13:52

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 7:48 pm, Terence wrote:

> They are not in competition in my eyes, and I would like to see a
> reasoned argument that says it is "KDE v Gnome" as if this is some
> kind of third rate football match.
Perhaps we should phrase the question more like, Do you have any
specific reasons for your preference/
After all if you are using a Suse distro, most (all?) the apps seem to
work w/ both desktops.

It often seems to be more a "familiarity" preference . Those who came
from Mac seem to prefer Gnome, and the former Windows folks prefer KDE.
Neither desktop works the same way as the one they used to use, but
perhaps are less scarey.

For as long as I can remember there has been this constant drumbeat that
"linux is too hard for average users.
"Wrong on it's face!  Our lists are filled w/ people who were "average"
users.
Linux is only used by " Haxor Kiddies who are l337"  since *everybody*
knows*normal* people can't cope w/ command lines.

I don't understand this one, people used DOS before there was a GUI for
what grew into Windows, and the 1337 Windows users use the command line
still. It's often the only way to get stuff done!

 Some are complete beginners w/ computers, some are new to the
information that there is any other OS than the one which was installed
(FREE) on their computers. Many will graduate to be users who help
others  make the transition away from that other OS. Some will never
switch.. <shrug> fine, Linux "True Believers" say let them use what
they are happy w/. Choice is the thing we believe in most.

Morning, Evolution in action. only the grumpy will survive
Don't try to change my attitude or rearrange my latitude;
Don't tell me what I think, I got to get me some boat drinks