List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] KDE / VNC hanging during connection
From:       "Ian Harrell" <fireman71 () trificient ! net>
Date:       2005-12-20 22:47:33

Greetings everyone,

I recently upgraded my home web/file server from suse 9.1 to 10.0.

With 9.1 I used remote desktop to access the server with VNC via connection
to 192.168.x.x:10. Back then everything worked fine. Now I am having
problems.

I try to connect with TightVNC with 192.168.x.x:1 (according to nmap VNC is
listening on ports 1, 2 and 3 on the server) and get to see the login screen
where I can enter my username and password as before. Then things go wrong.

The KDE startup screen comes up and (forgive the simplistic description :)
the little dots circle the lizard about one complete time then I receive a
message saying that TightVNC "Encountered an error while waiting for a
response from the server." and TightVNC closes out.

I then drag my monitor over to the Suse 10.0 box and hook everything up and
login and according to the who command my TightVNC connection is there and
connected and looking at the running processes it appears that kde did start
up and is just sitting there idling.

Nothing has changed on the computer i am using as a client and I am getting
the same error when using both my computer as a client and my son's computer
as well as my laptop.

The first time i installed suse 10.0 i did an upgrade installation and then
i encountered the above problem so i went back, formatted all the harddrives
and performed a clean install and am still having the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or has anyone had a similar problem?

The only other issue I have had so far is that occasionally my ssh
connection (using ssh to investigate this problem) occasionally hangs up
after about 20 to 30 seconds of being connected and when i reconnect and
look at the running processes and the who command output it seems that I am
still connected. With the VNC hangups though it is an every connect attempt
occurance.

Many, many thanks in advance

Ian