List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OT: KDE v. GNOME
From:       "Kai Ponte" <kai () perfectreign ! com>
Date:       2005-12-20 22:44:24

> Hi all:
> I've been in several Linux rooms and I notice a very big anti-KDE
> stance.  My question is, what is so wrong with KDE?  What about it
> inspires such hatred?

Just read the initial replies to Matthias' remarks about starting KDE
way back when.

http://groups.google.com/group/de.comp.os.linux.misc/msg/cb4b2d67ffc3ffce

Even then people said, "hey we don't need another tool set," or "CDE is
the best," or "Motif rocks!"

People deride it because <a> it looks too much like windows, <b> it
doesn't use a true "open source" toolkit (Qt), <c> it has a rather large
footprint and <d> because it is popular.

I first started using it back in '99 when I was on Mandrake 6.1 and
really liked it over Motif or CDE. You will certianly find those who
will think it is a pile of horse manure and they have their valid reasons.

Anyway, much like anything, those who argue against something are often
louder than those who argue for something.

In short the Gnome people feel left out.

As for me, I studied in Tubingen, so I think it is Kool. :)

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

linux - genuine windows replacement part