List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] How to Check DCOP Server/Repair KDE?
From:       Stan Glasoe <srglasoe () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-11-29 19:39:46

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 1:11 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> Greetings gang!
>
> I'm sure this is my fifth tech support request in two years.  Guess this
> GNU/Linux stuff is just too hard to use. ;-)
>
> Seriously, I went to bed Saturday evening after checking my e-mail using
> Kontact/KDE on SUSE 10.0 and woke up the next morning to discover I
> couldn't do anything in KDE.  I can still login to GNOME and XFce, etc.
> - just not KDE.  I cannot use Kontact at all - which is what I've been
> using to sync with my Visor, as well as e-mail, etc.  I believe this is
> related to my Sunday AM Auto-Update.  I have been running YOU manually,
> but let it run itself this week. The only other thing it could be is the
> recent BibleTime installation.
>
> The error message I get when trying to login to KDE is:
> "Error setting up Interprocess communications for KDE.  Message Was:
> Could not read network connection list /home/user/.DCOPserver_parris_0.
> Check that DCOP server is running.
>
> I am missing the .DCOPserver_parris_0 file in my home dir.  How do I
> check the DCOP server?

Try init 3, deleting everything in /tmp and maybe /var/tmp, init 5 and then
see if it comes back. This sounds like KDE cruft laying about and not
getting cleaned out properly by KDE. Since GNOME and XFce work I don't
think its X window issues. The DCOP problems used to happen to me in SUSE
8.x series quite a lot and clearing /tmp would solve it for a while.

Stan