List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] nVidia Corporation GeForce 6800 GT
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2005-11-16 18:53:08

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 01:18 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 12:51 pm, jfweber@bellsouth.net wrote:
> >  Steven,
> > I have one of those... the nvida driver adds some version of 3d control
> > that most programs that do POVRAY ,or similar proggies , need.. you can
> > use the one in the Yast online update menu ( somewhere near the bottom
> > of the list ) and stuff just stops bitching.. I didn't go thru the
> > build your own because stuff stopped bitchin at me when I used the one
> > YOU had on offer.. <shrug>  OF course YMMV
> > ;-D
>
> I have the one from YaST installed.  Or so I thought.  In SaX2 the 3D
> option is grayed out. 3Ddiag gives this:

> Verifying driver installation:
>   nvidia ... failed!
> ======================= !!! WARNING !!! ========================
> Due to license issues only a Dummy Nvidia 2D/3D driver with
> Software 3D/OpenGL rendering is provided. Please download
> the official 2D/3D Nvidia driver from the nVidia webserver
> (http://www.nvidia.com), if you want to use 3D hardware
> accelerated 3D/OpenGL.

OK, so I went to the nvidia site and found the diver for Linux.  They had a
link to the SuSE documentation on suse.de, which was written in English and
mentioned the name of a script which I recognized from lookin
in /usr/share/doc/nvidia.  Stupid me, I looked /there/ to find the
documentation, not the software; go figure. I followed the instructions, and
they worked just fine.  Now 3d graphics with OpenSceneGraph are fantastic,
and I don't get that annoying error message.

Steven