List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Updating k3b
From:       Nick LeRoy <nleroy () cs ! wisc ! edu>
Date:       2005-07-14 19:40:23

On Thu July 14 2005 2:20 pm, Dr. Gavin Pillay wrote:
> Hi There,
Hello,

> I think I may have got myself into a bind using both YaST and Synaptic.
> I'm trying to update k3b via YaST and this is the error I get :
> (I only have YaST open)
>
> ERROR(InstTarget:E_RpmDB_subprocess_failed)
> ---
> rpm output:
> warning: waiting for shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
> Any help will be appreciated as my k3b-lame is broken and without it,
> I can't rip CDs :(

Actually, this isn't a problem with the RPM at all; rather a problem with your
machine's RPM database.  rpm verifies that there's only one rpm process
running at a time to prevent database corruption.  That's what the "cannot
get shared lock" error messages are about.

Check to see if there are other "rpm" processes running on your machine.  "ps
aux | grep rpm".  If so, kill them with SIGTERM -- I think that'll cause them
to release the lock.  "killall -TERM rpm".

Failing that, a reboot of the system will certainly clear this up, but
hopefully won't be required.

Hope this helps

-Nick

--
           <<< It's the question that drives us. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project