List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] USB disk hotplug sync mounting
From:       Jan Romportl <rompi_news () post ! cz>
Date:       2005-05-23 9:52:40

Hello everyone,

could you please give me an advice how to solve the following problem:

I've got an external 200GB Maxtor USB harddisk. In SUSE 9.3 it is
automatically mounted as a subfs hotplug device to /media/usb_disk. It is
mounted with synchronous acces (i.e. sync option for mount). However, this
sync causes that the writing speed can be only 2MB/s with 100% cpu load (it
normally writes about 20MB/s). In SUSE 9.2 I figured out that when it is
mounted without sync, the performance is OK (i.e. 20MB/s writing). I have
modified /etc/hotplug/hotplug.subfs.functions (i.e. deleted 'sync' from the
mounting line there) and after that all worked fine. But in SUSE 9.3 (which I
currently use) no matter what I change
in /etc/hotplug/hotplug.subfs.functions, the USB disk is always mounted
'sync' (with that horrible writing performance). I understand that it's got
something to do wit HAL, but I desperately need to mount the USB disk without
sync. Can anyone tell me how to do that? (or even better - how to make sync
mounted usb disk write faster than 2MB/s?)

Thank you very much in advance

Jan Romportl