List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] hotplug & its mount point
From:       John Sowden <jsowden () americansentry ! net>
Date:       2005-05-22 21:52:20

I would like to plug in a usb memory stick, or a usb hard drive and know in
advance where it is going to mount, extactly.  My backup and archive programs
check to make sure the correct removable device is installed (using dosemu)
and DVD-RAM media, sparq media and ubb sticks.  I cannot do this under linux
without knowing the mount point of the device. I am running suse 8.2. I like
to put my external media in a directory called /media.  I would like to name
the device, especially the mem sticks, as I have several and I could put a
label on the device.  Alse, since I use different encryption keys for
different pieces of media (not type), ID becomes an issue.

I checks man pages, info pages, admin manual in the suse help.  none address
this issue.

tia
---
John Sowden
American Sentry Systems. Inc.
1221 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA  94901

U.L. Listed Central Station Alarm Service
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967

mail@americansentry.net
http://www.americansentry.net