List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] I've oops'd my sound somehow
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2005-04-12 8:40:08

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 09:10, John B wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi John,

>   I tried the free OSS drivers(?) to see if I could get my Audigy2 card
> working, and they did make it work, but the sound wasn't quite as good as
> ALSA sound on my older SBLive! card, so, I deleted everything I could (and
> I believe according to everything I could find on uninstalling the OSS
> stuff), and rebooted.
>   Now the problem is, when I swapped back in my older SBLive! card, YaST
> sees it, but when I go to configure it, I get the 'emu10k1 module can't be
> loaded' or some such thing. This card has always worked fine.
>   Question is, what can I do to make the kernel boot the emu10k1 module? I
> tried depmod emu10k1, and depmod sound and a few other things, but nothing
> seems to help.
I'd start from a lsmod. you might still have the oss module loaded. If that's
the case, try a rmmod and yast again. Or afaik alsa has an "alsa-config" (or
something similar) which would do the same thing (ish) as yast. anyway, imho,
you still have the oss module lingering in the memory somewhere...

>   Would it be possible to reboot with the dvd in the drive and click on
> installation and have it re-install the kernel as it was before I screwed
> up whatever it is I screwed up? I haven't done any kernel updates, so I've
> still got the stock 9.2 kernel installed.
it should not be necessary to go to that sort of extremes :)

Cheers (and hope this helps),

Laur