List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Problem with installing Mozilla Thunderbird
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2004-10-21 22:39:58

Hi folks!

Seem to have gotten myself messed up again. I thought this might be an apt
problem, but now it's looking like more of an RPM issue.

Background:  I've been using Thunderbird for my primary mail client for awhile
now. I did not use apt to install (downloaded and installed as user to
~/thunderbird from tar). A few days ago, I updated some other packages
through apt and Thunderbird began having problems loading. Specifically,
thunderbird-bin would start running (in KDE) for a few seconds, then just die
(no panel item, no UI). A few thunderbird-bin processes continued to run in
the background, however. I attempted to reinstall from the tarball--no
changes.

I then checked to see if there was a package available from apt, and indeed
there was. I proceeded to install via apt--without removing the old package.
Thunderbird appeared to install, but it never actually finished. Eventually I
discovered that the rebuild-databases process never completed. I killed this
process (after nothing had happened for several hours). Later on, I found
that rebuild-databases was a Thunderbird process, not from either apt or rpm.

I tried removing the old installation (the Thunderbird release notes say to
simply delete the ~/thunderbird folder), and running apt again. No
change--still hanging. Further research indicates that rebuild-databases
spawns three instances of thunderbird-bin. Is it trying to find the mail
profile? Again after several hours of waiting, I killed the thunderbird-bin
processes. In the log below, it appears (well, that's my guess anyway) that
thunderbird-bin was trying to register itself, but killing the process sent
that to /dev/null.

Oh, and this is a SuSE 9.0 system, KDE 3.1.4.

Any thoughts on getting Thunderbird running properly are much appreciated.

Mike

Apt log:
linux:/home/mikemc # apt --no-checksig --no-post install MozillaThunderbird
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  MozillaThunderbird
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 removed and 339 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/9627kB of archives.
After unpacking 28.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Committing changes...
/opt/MozillaThunderbird/bin/rebuild-databases.sh: line 79:  6764 Terminated
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird-bin -register >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
Done.

--

Mike McCallister		ProTek Writing Services
workingwriter@prodigy.net	"Translation from the Geek a specialty"