List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] 9.1 to 9.2 upgrade tested?
From:       Stephen Boulet <stephen () theboulets ! net>
Date:       2004-10-13 13:56:50

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 08:42 am, Steve Kratz wrote:
> I've had good and bad experiences with Linux upgrades in general... Any
> more, it's just as easy to wipe & reinstall with "everything" I use
> included in the distro discs...

I usually do that too, but there are wrinkles. I end up installing lots of
stuff that SuSE doesn't include in the distribution (why isn't bittorrent
included?) via checkinstall. That pain can be lessened by having a separate
'/usr/local' partition.

In addition, even though I have a '/home' partition that doesn't get
formatted, there is the stuff in '.kde' that I worry about, like will I miss
any reorganization of the default menus in the new version of the distro by
not starting from a clean slate.

--

Stephen

If your desktop gets out of control easily,
you probably have too much stuff on it that
doesn't need to be there.
         Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"