List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Re: What is "pvm"?
From:       Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard () fugro-jason ! com>
Date:       2004-08-24 15:17:45

* John Pettigrew <john@xl-cambridge.com> (Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:59:10PM +0100)

>> * John Pettigrew <john@xl-cambridge.com> (Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:02:45AM
>> +0100)
>>> I am trying to install transcode from Packman, so that I can use kavi2svcd
>>> to convert movie files. However, there's an odd (but undeclared)
>>> dependency on something called "pvm".

>> pvm is indeed a paralel virtual machine. At a guess, transcode uses it to be
>> able to make use of SMP machines and hen use both CPUs to do its work.

> Which begs the question of why I need it on a non-SMP machine!

Because transcode needs it, because the same exe can run on multi CPU
machines.
(and in fact,m if pvm is properly setup, and you have more machines in your
network, you can use all of them to form one virutal multi-cpu machine.

I've used pvm on a network opf SGIs, Suns and Linux boxes to do multi-cpu
jobs, and it's really cool

> http://www.headstrong-games.co.uk/   Board games that won't break the bank

Currently listening to: ph2003-12-29d3t01

	Gerhard,  <faliquid@xs4all.nl>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	I have a spelling checker.  It came with my PC.
 =`\<,	It plane lee marks four my revue miss steaks aye can knot see.