List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Sun's W1100z and SuSE question
From:       Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard () fugro-jason ! com>
Date:       2004-08-05 19:53:29

* Tom Nielsen <tom@neuro-logic.com> (Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:50:21PM -0700)
> On Thursday 05 August 2004 11:51 am, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
> > Sun W1100z ?
> > That's a single opteron based box right ?
> Correct. I didn't want to spring for the 2100z.

> > The only thing is that you *must* install the latest NVidia drivers (6106).
> > I don't know which ones yast/you picks for you, but the 5xxx serieas
> > drivers will lock the ssytem when running 32bit OGL applications
> > (quake3 to name just one)
> I'm just running standard office stuff on it. I figured rather than making it
> just a test unit, I might as well use it. No games though.

Not sure what ``just office stuff'' means for you ..
Im not sure if you canr un Xover office on it.
BUt you can run OpenOffice without problems.

>> Apart from that, the box will just voom (esp.if you have the FX3000 video
>> card ;) )
> I'm running the lowest card...NVS280.

Even that one will go Voom, if you put 4000 volts through it

> Any problem with Windows XP running on it? Again....for test purposes.

Apart from the fact that it's windows XP you mean ;) ..

NO, if you install a 32bit OS on that box,k it will behave just as a 32bit
AMD cpu.
Im not sure if the network card and such will be supported by windows, but
I reckon they will.

Currently listening to: sp2000-12-02d2t04

	Gerhard,  <faliquid@xs4all.nl>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	Also by the time I'm 60, I want to get better at the art of living.
 =`\<,	And still be riding an acoustic motorbike.