List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Using Tracedaemon and Tracevisualizer on SuSE 9.0...
From:       Roy Butler <roy.butler () jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2004-05-07 6:07:23

Hi,

I'm interested in using tracedaemon and tracevisualizer on SuSE 9.0.
They're both included in the distribution and I've configured the kernel
to include them, however things are not working for me.  Here's what
I've done:

- Gotten the latest kernel update from SuSE (linux-2.4.21-215).
- Changed the kernel configuration to include Pentium-4 support,
built-in ReiserFS Support, and selected "Y" on the Kernel Hacking items
leading to "Kernel events tracing support" (for which I selected "M")
using "make xconfig".
- I also manually changed CONFIG_CFGNAME in my .config file to read
"smp4G-p4-trace" to keep it separate from the provided kernel and modules.
- Made bzImage and copied appropriately.
- Copied System.map appropriately.
- Made modules and modules_install.
- Rebooted to run-level 3 (w/ new kernel) to install NVidia drivers and
prelink system.
- Rebooted to run-level 5.
- Ran "modprobe tracer".
- Cat'd /proc/devices and found "254 tracer".
- Ran "mknod tracer c 254 0"
- Ran "tracedaemon -ts10 /dev/tracer ./out.trace ./out.proc" which
resulted in my system hanging - multiple tries, whether as root or as a
normal user w/ dev file chmod'd appropriately.

Andi, Andreas, help!

Thanks,
Roy