List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Re: VariCAD, was [SLE] Epson Stylus Photo 2200
From:       Tony Alfrey <tonyalfrey () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-04-26 3:36:59

On Sunday 25 April 2004 03:11 pm, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> At 09:26 PM 4/24/2004 -0800, Stanley Long wrote:
> >On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 19:56, Fred Miller wrote:
>
> /cut/
>
> >The "D" and "E" size construction project documents from my VariCAD
> > go to an Oce' machine at http://www.digital-blueprint.com
> >
> >There are serious things being produced on Linux desktop machines.
>
> Please tell us what VariCAD is, what it costs, how it compares to
> AutoCad.

VariCAD is
a) about 400 bucks US
b) a true solid modeler, sorta like Autodesk Inventor
c) will generate dxf 2-D files, and 3-D iges and dwg files that are
readable by autocad but not "importable" into autocad.  So autocad
cannot edit the files.
d) rpms are available for SuSE and (I think) red hat.
e) I use it about 4 hrs a day currently.  It has it's good and bad
points but I consider its best points to be

1.  Price
2.  Runs on linux
3.  Relatively easy learning curve
4.  Solids editing is fairly fast
5.  Generates good files/drawings that can be easily used by a machine
shop.

Contact me off-list if you wish and I'll send you a .png picture of the
kind of stuff I do with it so you can see if it may be of use.

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey@earthlink.net