List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] KMail Font Weirdness
From:       Rocco Charamella <rcharamella () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-11-02 17:43:56

On Sunday 02 November 2003 07:31 am, Kenneth Payne wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a problem with the font that kmail uses for the message body of the
> mails. It's too big. Not hugely big, just irritatingly big. About 12 or 13
> pt.
>
> When I use Configure Kmail --> Appearance -->use custom fonts, I can change
> the font of every part of KMail except the message body. Actually, to be
> precise I can change the font of the message body as well - I just can't
> make it smaller. I can make it bigger and it displays bigger. I can choose
> a different font and the different font is displayed. But Kmail just will
> not display the message body at anything less than about 12pt. It just will
> not go as small as the font size for, say, the composer, or the list of
> messages or the tree.
>
> It's as though KMail had a hidden setting :
>
> "Do not allow a a font size smaller than 12 point in a message body"
>
> It struck me that the message body part of KMail might be an KHTML
> component and that it was honouring some setting in Konqueror. But even
> when I set Konqui to allow fonts as small as 4 pt, nothing happens in
> KMail. It accepts small font sizes but will not display them.
>
> Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
>
> Best wishes
>
> - Ken

I was having the same problem. I'm on a laptop with a UXGA screen and was
having a hell of a time getting XF86 configed correctly. After I did that, I
had to adjust the screen size to give me 96 dpi. Once I did that, kmail
functioned as it should with regard to font size.

You can set the fonts to use in XF86Config, I'm using the 100 dpi fonts, but
they really only seem to affect gnome apps, not kde.