List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] gnome
From:       Ralph Sanford <rsanford () telusplanet ! net>
Date:       2003-10-10 2:49:46

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 01:22, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2003 08.54, James Ogley wrote:
> > > non sequiteur. You can use red carpet AND usr-local-bin gnome. It's not
> > > an either/or situation. One is a desktop environment, the other is a
> > > package manager. not the same thing
> >
> > But the fact is that Dread Carpet is geared towards installing Ximian's
> > packages.  When I have used it, it has shown scant little respect for
> > packages not produced by Ximian Inc.
>
> Explain please? As far as I can see you can use it to install any packages
> whatsoever. I've used it to install KDE packages from the supplementary, I've
> used it to install packages from packman, I've never seen any "preference"
> for ximian packages
>
> As far as I can see it is the best package manager for RPM out there.

Hi Anders,

I have to agree that Ximian Desktop can cause problems.  I installed XD2
a couple of weeks ago and the KDE desktop was severely messed by XD2.  I
have attached below my original comment sent to this list.  I do not
consider it acceptable for XD2 to have messed up konqueror and its
variants on my KDE desktop.

I received a response, privately, from a SuSE lister that had a similar
experience which he resolved by re-installing SuSE.  I resolved the
problem by deleting various Ximian files (yes this caused dependency
problems) and managed to reinstall some gnome files from ULB such that
gnome no longer interferes with konqueror.

Ximian may not have caused you any problems with XD2, but it did cause
problems here.  This not meant is FUD, just a factual statement.  BTW
you mentioned that XD1 caused you problems, which I guess is just turn
about since XD1 worked fine for me.

There are still some Ximian package issues on my current system such as
XD2 removed my /opt/mozilla files and appears to have moved the info to
/opt/gnome2/lib/mozilla and the mozilla version there is listed as
35:1.4 whereas the mozilla version actually is 1.4.  Of course even when
mozilla 1.6 is available, a normal upgrade will not work because the
version 35:1.4 will appear to be newer.

Based on my recent experience, I would also advise SuSE gnome users stay
with either the SuSE or ULB packages and avoid the Ximian packages.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
copied from and earlier message sent to the list
---------------------------
I tried to look at the Ximian XD2 desktop by installing on system.
After logging to gnome and then deciding to log back to KDE, I found
that Ximian Gnome had altered my KDE desktop.  According to this list's
archives this is because Ximian takes certain of the KDE desktop items
and saves them in "old desktop".  The Ximian "doorman" asks if you want
your old desktop saved, but since I was logging in to gnome I expected
Ximian to save my old gnome desktop not alter my KDE desktop.

Not very funny because the icon cannot be opened normally in KDE since
Konqueror does not work.  Konqueror seriously does not work.  Using
Konsole to enter "konqueror" or "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement"
also does not work (no error message, just seems to hang).  Fortunately
going to the SuSE menu/system/...superuser filemanager still works, so
that the Ximian "old desktop" can be opened and the original icons for
KDE returned to the desktop.

Except that Konqueror and its variants still do not work. None of:
Home directory
Konqueror web browser
windows directory
share directory
floppy
cdr
dvd

The only way to see files in KDE is to use Konsole to call nautilus.

BAD Ximian.

The list archives suggest that adjusting the gnome settings to turn off
the nautilus option of "show desktop" would solve the problem.  This was
the setting and it was reset and still no konqueror and way too much
nautilus.

If I log in to xfce or windowmaker, then konqueror or "kfmclient
openProfile filemanager" work perfectly with all my original settings
saved.

However if I create a new user and then try to login to KDE, konqueror
and its variants are still non-functional.

I can function quite happily in xfce4, but I want to put Ximian gnome in
its place and away from my KDE.

Can anyone suggest how to recover konqueror for KDE?
end of copy.

--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
rsanford@telusplanet.net   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01