List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Where have all the programs gone ...
From:       Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja () ikarustech ! com>
Date:       2003-08-25 1:05:03

On Sunday 24 August 2003 10:36 pm, Thinker wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  My question today is.. where are all the programs? I have switched back
> and forth a few times between Desktop environments (KDE,Ximain XD2,
> Gnome, Enlightenment, etc..) and I notice that each environment offers
> not only different type program menus but also different programs.
>
> 1. Is there a way to list ALL the programs that are available to you so
> that I can tweak the menus on the Desktop Environment I decide on?

Well, you can always look in your kde/bin or gnome/bin to see all the
programs. SuSE has a good menu and I rarely needed to edit the menu to
add/delete entries.

> 2. Is there such a thing as an 'environment specific' program (ie.. if
> something comes with KDE will it run in Gnome)?

KDE programs will run fine in gnome and vice versa I believe. You just have to
have the libraries installed, which are installed in pretty much any
distribution. If you use more KDE programs, then you should use KDE because
it will save you A. memory B. headache