List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Stock postgres
From:       "S. Bulterman" <s_bulterman () planet ! nl>
Date:       2003-07-31 20:02:33

Rob Sell wrote:

>Is anyone using the stock postgres on 8.2? If so is it bloody slow for you?
>We upgraded servers recently and went from a dual athlon mp 1.4ghz with 5
>disk raid 5 to a dual xeon 2.4 with a 4disk raid 5. I have an insert that
>took about 2 minutes on the old server. It takes over 20 minutes now. Do I
>need to recompile postgres or something to get it up to speed?
>
>ROb

Did you tweak the kernel parameters for shared memory????
Location: /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Did you tweak the PostgreSQL shared memory parameters????
This is descriped in the documentation of PostgreSQL.

The out of the box values are very small. Giving PostgreSQL
performance problems.

Still using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 with SuSE 7.0.....

Hope this helps,

Stefan.