List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] 3D & direct rendering
From:       BandiPat <penguin0601 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2003-07-31 16:08:05

On Thursday 31 July 2003 01:21 am, Curtis Rey wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:44 pm, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> > * BandiPat (penguin0601@earthlink.net) [030730 21:02]:
> > >Running glxinfo shows no direct rendering and gears are slow and
> > > Tux Racer is slow.  The 7200 is about the same as the 7000 card,
> > > so it doesn't fit into the "need an ATI binary driver" to get the
> > > 3d working. In fact, I believe the standard XFree86 4.3 supports
> > > 3d for the Radeons up to the 9200, but beyond that you need the
> > > binary drivers.
> > >
> > >Any thoughts anyone?  Has someone run across this lately as well?
> >
> > Well, I've posted about this weird happening before. It seems that
> > every 25-35 days of uptime..give or take..my Radeon 7500 just stops
> > being able to use Direct Rendering. I run 3Ddiag and make sure
> > everything is kosher but the only thing that fixes it is a reboot.
> > I've tried everything from removing the modules to running SaX2
> > ..etc..etc. Nothing works accept a reboot. Then all is peachy for
> > the next month or so. I've never had an answer that came close to
> > being correct about this issue. It never cropped up while I was
> > using my nVidia based Diamond Viper 770 Ultra which has made me
> > thing that my next card may be an nVidia FX card. If anyone has
> > thoughts on this ..I to would LOVE to hear them.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Rosenberg ---===---===---===--- mailto:ben@whack.org
>
> Ben, which FX card are you getting.  I was thinking about getting a
> GF4-Ti (4200 or 4600) but it isn't DX9 enabled.  I want this for
> HalfLife2 and Doom3 (though Carmack will most likely port of
> OSS/Linux - shaders are writing in an assmebly like manner).  My
> problem is that HL2 uses some advance mipmapping, shader, and fog
> protocals.  It should really bump up the bench mark, but it is DX9
> dependent.  Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers, Curtis.
================

Ok, guys let's not turn this thread into a what is the best nvidia card
thing.  Curtis usually is complaining about someone hijacking a thread,
so?  Let's try to stick with the subject and problem and get that
solved first please!

Ben, since I usually boot fresh each day, dropping out as you describe
doesn't happen here.  Usually with mine, it's a file that has been
installed that switches it off and resetting things with sax2, etc.
gets it all going again, but that didn't happen this time, so I am not
sure at this point what is going on now.  I might try to go back to an
earlier kernel to see if that has changed it, but the modules seem to
be there for the radeon & ati drivers.

Pat
	Registered Linux User #225206
 On any other day, that might seem strange...