List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Laptops a simple question (not really)
From:       Paul Cooke <pc005b5848 () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-14 15:38:03

On Monday 14 July 2003 12:02 pm, Tate, Andy wrote:
> Of all the laptops that are currently made to day which ones will run SUSE
> out of the box?
>
> I have read many questions and responses over the last 2 years about this
> topic, I am now ready to purchase, so what is the standard I should look
> for.    example:   dell Inspiron  8200, or Toshiba satellite, or a Compaq,
> or a IBM.....
> Please help ... Thanks in advance.

please define "out-of-the-box"...

My laptop (packard bell i-GO 9600) ran out of the box with the following
exceptions:

3D: there was no 3D support for the onboard SIS graphics chipset.
Modem: the winmodem wasn't supported, but I don't care as the o/b network card
did
ACPI: don't work. but I've been told this can be fixed by my recompiling the
kernel... (Come on SuSE, please give us ACPI laptop users a pre-compiled
"standard" kernel)
I had to use partition magic to shrink the XP partition so that I had room to
install.