List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Laptops a simple question (not really)
From:       Mike Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2003-07-14 13:32:52

I put SuSE 8.2 on a Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155 with almost no problems a
couple of months ago. And I'm very happy with the machine and setup.

The major initial obstacle was finding a way to partion the hard drive. But
that was not due to the fact that it was a laptop, but because it came with
MS Windows XP already installed; and I wanted to make it a dual boot machine.

Beyond that the only problem that I'm sure was a problem is that the modem
does not work. Based on research I did at that time someone is/was working on
a resolution for this. I haven't checked lately to see whether or not a
solution has been achieved.

One other "problem" was that it installed with an 800x600 screen resolution
without giving me a choice or allowing me to change it. I think that was most
likely an error on my part somewhere along the line. However, I've not taken
the time to figure out whether this was perhaps somehow due to something
about the machine. I suspect that it is not a real problem.

I did install with ACPI off, since I had read somewhere that it could cause
problems.

Check
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
for the experience of others.