List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Laptops a simple question (not really)
From:       Anders Karlsson <anders () trudheim ! com>
Date:       2003-07-14 11:51:32

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 12:02, Tate, Andy wrote:
> Of all the laptops that are currently made to day which ones will run SUSE
> out of the box?

A fair few of them will run the SuSE out of the box. For the moment, I
think you should perhaps avoid Centrino laptops if you can. I have an
IBM X31, and although I have got most things working, there are still
issues with it.

If you go for kit that is pre-Centrino it should work more or less
without a hitch. I can recommend IBM X30 laptops, and I have used a Dell
Inspiron 5000e as well, not had any problems with either. Friends of
mine have Sony, Compaq and HP laptops, and all of them are happy.

Not as sure about the Toshibas. Something in the back of my memory keep
telling me there were reasons to steer clear of their kit a while back.
That could have changed since though.

> I have read many questions and responses over the last 2 years about this
> topic, I am now ready to purchase, so what is the standard I should look
> for.    example:   dell Inspiron  8200, or Toshiba satellite, or a Compaq,
> or a IBM.....
> Please help ... Thanks in advance.

Well, all comments you will get on this topic will be subjective with
regards to what kit the responder has used and/or favour him-/her-self.
I am contracted to IBM at the moment, so I get discount on their kit.
Dell was good to me before that.

When you finally settle on what to get, let the list know what you
picked. It will be interesting to hear your comments about your new
laptop and how it works, if you have niggles, your successes.

Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>
Trudheim Technology Limited