List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Trouble loading a module compiled for non-optimised but same kernel
Date:       2003-06-24 8:28:44

Hi,

I'd like to initially stress that I cannot get the source and compile my own
version of this module under any circumstance. It's for my philips webcam and
the guy provides all the source he can, but the encryption stuff is forever
likely to be binary only.

Anyway, I'm using SuSE 8.2 and the 2.4.20-4GB-athlon kernel, the module was
compiled for the 2.4.20 kernel. This is the play of events:

$modprobe pwcx
/lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
        /lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.20
        while this kernel is version 2.4.20-4GB-athlon.
/lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o: insmod /lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o failed
/lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o: insmod pwcx failed

If it helps the module is pwcx and is the companion module for pwc (phillips
webcam).

The author recommended a modprobe -f command presumably to stop situations
like the above through forcing the load, however I cannot find the -f command
line switch documented anywhere, nor anything that look similar.

Does anyone know what I need to do here? Hope someone can help and thanks for
your time,

Max Howell