List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] USB printer access via Samba
From:       Mike Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2003-06-20 1:51:54

Hi!

I have two printers hooked to my SuSE 8.2 Linux box. One is a Brother HL-645,
which uses the parallel port. The other is an HP Photosmart 7350, which uses
a USB port. I can print to both printers from the Linux box.

I have Samba set up and experience no problem browsing to and adding either
printer to the printers for Windows 98 and XP computers on my home network.
And I can print from both of the Windows machines to the Brother without a
problem. Any attempt at printing to the HP, however, fails. The XP acts as if
is sending the page. But no page is printed. The Win98 machine says that it
can't print the (test) page.

I'm guessing that I am missing some setting related to the fact that the HP
uses a USB port.

Ideas?

TIA!

Mike Green