List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] mysql and sql in 8.2
From:       Michael D Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2003-06-03 12:42:28

From http://sqlcourse.com/intro.html: 'SQL (pronounced "ess-que-el") stands
for Structured Query Language. SQL is used to communicate with a database.'

Microsoft SQL Server or MS-SQL (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/) and MySQL
(http://www.mysql.com/) are two of the many database systems which use SQL.
MS SQL Server is a proprietary database system. MySQL is an open source one.

To the extent that both use SQL to communicate with a database they are the
same. Each, however, has its own extensions to SQL. And each uses a different
format for some things.

So they are not identical -- and, I would say, not even very close.

Cheers!

Mike Green