List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Random segmentation faults --> Software,hardware???
From:       Peter B Van Campen <peterb924 () ameritech ! net>
Date:       2003-02-28 23:37:34

Dear Alex,

Failing on POST is an indicator of a memory failure. Check with your vendor on
warrantee info.

Always use a good 'contact lubricant' on electronic connections; it helps
prevent the formation of oxidation and "stress-corrosion" . Any electronics
supply house should carry it for a few dollars; do not fall for the $15+
Audiophiles TWEEK fluid, it is just the cheap stuff repackaged.

Good Luck .......... PeterB

try http://allelectronics.com

On Friday 28 February 2003 10:24 am, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> Hello,
> Thank you for your response.
> However, looks like this seg. fault problem has gone away,
> at least for now.
> I opened the box, removed all memory modules.
> Then I rubbed its contacts with soft eraser, and after cleaned them
> with an alcohol.
> After this procedure I performed a couple of code compilations
> and everything was very stable.
> The only one thing still bothers me.
> Even though all my 3GB PC2100 DDR memory modules have ECC,
> I can't set them to ECC setting in the BIOS.
> When I do this, the system just doesn't post on reboot and
> I have to reset the BIOS.
> For now BIOS memory options set to non-ECC.
>
> Thanks.
> Alex

> > On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:54:59PM -0800, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > > I have 430W power supply in this box.
> > > I hope it's enough to power the system.
> > > Anyway, I'll check memory setting in the BIOS.
> >
> > If you are not using ECC memory then there is no way to detect
> > a memory error, usually it causes some mysterious segfaults.
> >
> > Regards, -Kastus

Proud to be a SuSE Linux User since 5.2