List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    RE: [SLE] My SuSE Linux is very slow sometimes.
From:       "Peer Stefan" <stefan.peer () tiwag ! at>
Date:       2003-02-27 13:47:14

Hi,
> From: Prabu Subroto [mailto:prabusubroto@yahoo.com]
> Dear my friends....
>
> I wonder why my SuSE Linux 8.1 becomes very slow
> sometimes. It becomes slow if my harddisk suddenly
> being busy because of an unknown process. I guess
> because fsck but I am not sure.

I hope it's not fsck, because it needs an unmounted filesystem.

It's rather updatedb, a daemon, which updates the locate-database. It uses find, \
which produces pretty heavy load (scans all mounted filesystems for files ...). If \
you recognize such a load try "ps -elf | grep update" and "ps -elf | grep find" and \
"top" is also a pretty good tool to check for hungry processes.

> What is the unknown process actually? And how can I
> stop /cease it ?

updatedb is started from the root-crontab, you may change settings there or even \
disable it.

> Thank you very much in advance.

you're welcome,
Stefan